Why do you need an exemption letter?

The purchase and application of pesticides (herbicide or algaecide) to a water body in Ontario requires an exemption letter for each application site. If you have multiple properties with ponds, you will need an exemption letter for each property.

In order to qualify, the water body must be completely contained within your property boundaries and without any outflow.

Applications are sent to the Ministry Of the Environment for approval and can take a couple weeks or more for a response, depending on the time of year.

 How to apply

  • Complete the form (click here)  in full.
  • Include an aerial map (from Google Maps or MapQuest). On this map: draw the pond, property lines, and any other landmarks and features - the road, house, barn, etc.
  • Send this package to the MOE:

Ministry of the Environment
40 St. Clair Ave. West, 7th Floor
Toronto ON M4V 1M2
Tel: (416) 327-4138
Fax: (416) 327-2936

Once the exemption letter is received, you are allowed to purchase algaecide and herbicide for a period of three (3) years. You will need to present a copy of the exemption to us, and we will keep it on file for the duration of the permit. After expiry, the very same process will need to be repeated to apply for another 3 year period.