Carbon Vane Replacement Instructions
On Sweetwater models AQ3, AQ5, AQ7, AQ73, AQ9 and AQ93
DO NOT REMOVE HE ROTOR OR LOOSEN ANY OF THE ELECTRIC OR MOTOR THROUGH BOLTS.
3/8” socket or wrench
- 7/16” socket or wrench
- Sharp knife
- Anti-Seize compound or oil
- Small or rubber hammer
READ ALL DIRECTION BEFORE STARTING.
Before replacing the vanes, disconnect the compressor from power source.
- Begin by removing the two plastic thumbscrew caps from the front of the muffler box (if so fitted), and then remove the five bolts that hold the muffler box.
- TAP the box with a small (or rubber) hammer to break loose. DO NOT PRY WITH A SCREWDRIVER.
- Remove the six bolts holding the end plate to the body.
- Remove the endplate and the four vanes, paying close attention to the vane leading edge direction.
- If the vanes are broken, clean out the slots thoroughly.
- Also disassemble inlet filter, muffler, etc. and clean out broken vane pieces. If you don’t they will break the new vanes.
- Next install the new vanes making sure they slide easily by rotation the rotor, watching that each vane falls under its own weight.
- Reassemble by reversing the above directions.
- Scrape the old gasket off before replacing new one.
- The six end plate bolts should be installed to finger tight.
- Before replacing the muffler box, plug in the compressor and run it while tightening the six bolts.
- Wear eye protection and do not breathe dust.
- If an unusual sound or stopping the rotor takes place, disconnect and recheck the vane placement.
- When reinstalling the muffler box, be certain to install the center bolt FIRST to ensure proper gasket alignment.
We recommend the use of anti-seize lubricant or a dab of oil on each bolt to ensure its easy removal next time.